A couple of days ago someone asked about how they can create a SharePoint list from an Excel file. There are a couple of methods available to perform this task but on this blog post, I will do the easiest way on my opinion to make this to happen.
The required action to be able to export the Excel file to a SharePoint list is to create a table from your Excel file. After that, you will unlock this. With this action, for example, it will allow you to use the column formatting to show the data in a better experience and more. For regular use, there are limitations using this method.
In the case that you intend to use the Metadata on your list or Choice, that is not possible with this method. This option to export to a SharePoint list is only available on the Excel Desktop version.
- Open the Excel file
- Select the data that you want to tranform as a table
- Create a Table
- Go to the Design Option on the top bar
- Click on the option Export and then Export Table to SharePoint list
- Paste the URL of the site where you want this list on Address
- Give a Name to the list that will be created
- Description is optional
- If you want this Excel to be updated once the SharePoint list is updated, select the checkbox Create a read-only connection to the new SharePoint list
- Click Next if all the fields are with the correct format click to Finish
Depending on the size of the Excel file this can take a while or be almost instantaneously. Now you can start to explore the SharePoint list features.
[…] How to export a table from Excel to SharePoint list – SharePoint Tricks […]
This is great, thank you! How do you export the Excel table to an existing SharePoint List?
In my case, its an excel contact list I’d like to export to my newly created SharePoint List.
You will need to code PowerShell script or similar to import the data to your SharePoint list.
You can save your file as CSV and then use the PowerShell command to use CSV.